Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wonderful Blueberry Muffin Recipe

Here is a recipe that I think is definitely worth sharing.  My kids love blueberries, and I mean meltdown in BJs because they can’t get the carton open love blueberries.  So I always liked making them blueberry muffins for breakfast.  The problem was that the packaged blueberry muffin mixes never turned out well for me.  I have tried different oven temperatures, different rack positions…they always get burnt on the edges and barely cook in the middle.  So a couple of years ago, I went on a quest to make an awesome blueberry muffin batter.  Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 Tbsp butter
2/3 c sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c buttermilk (or 1 c milk with 1 Tbsp white vinegar, let set for 5 minutes before adding to batter)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c blueberries

Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.  Beat butter and sugar in a separate bowl from dry ingredients.  Add vanilla extract and egg to butter mixture.  Beat well until smooth.  Add flour mix and buttermilk alternating, ending with flour.  Bake 20-25 minutes.  When muffins are done, melt 4 Tbsp butter.  Dip muffins in melted butter and then in a mixture of 1/3 c sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

003 

These are wonderful with or without the extra sugar/cinnamon topping, but I love that added sweetness.  The kids tear into these every time.  And I have never had an issue with the edges burning or the middle not cooking through.  These are also very versatile…the blueberries can be replaced with any flavor you like.  Happy baking!

  005
Oh, and one side note, I’ve learned it never hurts to pray before cooking anything.  I got cocky with chocolate chip cookies once, and God put me in my place very quickly.  Not sure to this day what went wrong, but those cookies were horrible!  Our Heavenly Father is very good at reminding us that everything good we do is only with His help!

No comments:

Post a Comment