Saturday, June 15, 2013

Bug Week Kids Crafts

This week our homeschooling curriculum was all about bugs…the kids loved it!  This was a great unit with all of the cicadas out and the flies, gnats, dragonflies, butterflies, etc.  And tons of fun crafts, too!
001

We started out by cutting out bug pictures and classifying them by how they move: crawl, slither, or fly.  Then we glued them on different pieces of construction paper.  Both kids really enjoyed this activity.  They even acted out crawling and flying!

008




Then we made construction paper flowers with pompom centers and pipe cleaner stems.  I had the kids put their thumbprints on white construction paper with yellow paint, and we made little bees and glued them onto Popsicle sticks.  Also a big hit.  This was a great way to teach them how bees get nectar from flowers and take it back to their hives to make honey.  Top that off with a peanut butter and honey sandwich, and this is a wonderful bug activity!




009

Finally, and by far my favorite craft of the week, we made a ladybug tic tac toe game.  The bodies of the ladybugs are cut up cardboard egg cartons painted with acrylics.  Of course, anything that involves painting goes over really well with my kids.  Once those were dry, we glued on 1″ pompoms for the faces, two googly eyes and black chenille stem antennae.  Colton did a lot of the gluing…we just used tacky glue for most of it.  He has been loving bug week!  I hot glued the ribbon on for wings because the tacky glue just wasn’t cutting it.  The board is just orange poster board with black construction paper squares glued on.  This was one of my favorite crafts so far because it was something the kids could really help with plus they learn how to play tic tac toe.

The rest of the weekend is going to involve a 10 Commandments train and a Cat in the Hat hat painting.  I was going to do those today, but I really want to laminate the 10 Commandments train.  And I just found out that my dad got my mom a laminating machine for Christmas.  How did I not know this for six months?!?!?!  She asked if I would like to use it…um, yeah, duh.  So I’m going to laminate those tomorrow.  I can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment