Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Easy Summer Recipes

018

The radishes were ready to harvest this week!  I am so incredibly excited to start eating the veggies from our garden.  Nothing can come close to topping the feeling of having and raising kids, but my second favorite thing is watching a garden grow into happy, healthy vegetables without pesticides.  So I figured, in honor of the first harvest, I would post a couple of my favorite quick and easy summer recipes.  Hope you enjoy!

033

I used the radishes and some of the lettuce and spinach from our garden for one of my favorite salad recipes, Cranberry Spinach Salad.  The original recipe is:

Ingredients
1 lb. spinach or mixed greens               1/2 c white sugar
3/4 c sliced almonds                            2 tsp minced onion
1 c dried cranberries                            1/4 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds               1/4 c rice vinegar
1/2 c vegetable oil                               1/4 c cider vinegar

Directions
Toast almonds in oven at 350˚ for about 8 minutes.
Combine spinach/mixed greens with almonds and cranberries.
Whisk together sesame seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, vinegars, and oil.
Toss with spinach mixture just before serving.
In this particular salad, I added radish and substituted raisins and pecans for the cranberries and toasted almonds.  It was still good, but I far prefer the cranberries and almonds.

Bacon Wrapped BBQ Pork Chops
021

Love, love, love this recipe.  It’s so very quick and easy, so it’s perfect for making when I get home from work.  Hubby and the kids love it, too.  Start by seasoning the pork chops with salt and pepper.

025

Then wrap in bacon (I’ve used turkey bacon for this, too, and it’s wonderful).  And sear in a skillet, about 3-4 minutes per side or until bacon starts getting crispy.

030

Place in baking dish and lightly cover with BBQ sauce. (I usually use Jack Daniel’s original BBQ).  Bake at 350˚ for 20-30 minutes.  That’s it!  Easy and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment